Monday, March 7, 2011

Make Your Own Applique Shirt

I am always looking for quick and easy do it yourself projects to try out. Sometimes, I don't want to buy all of the little things involved in making shirts, tutus, hair accessories and other items so I just buy them partially made. This sometimes saves me time and it definitely saves me money. The shirts I was looking for cost anywhere from $15 to $30 and more. I made both of the embroidered applique shirts below for under $15 and in 3 simple steps. The price of each item is specified at the end of the post.

Step 1: I ordered a few appliques online (by doing a search on Amazon, Etsy or eBay, you can probably find an applique that suits your needs). I also noticed that they sell appliques at Michael's if you are not fond of shopping online.

Step 2:  I simply went to to the mall, stopped into a few children's stores and found cute shirts to put the appliques on. I found the t-shirt at H&M and the tank top at Children's Place. The tank top is 12 month size and the shirt is 3T.

Step 3: Iron the appliques onto the shirts.

Price per applique: $3.75 (can usually be found for $3 to $5)
Price for the tank top $2 (it was on clearance)
Price for the shirt $5 (regular price, H&M prices are quite reasonable!)

Therefore, 2 appliques x $3.75 = $7.50 plus $7 for thetwo  tops. Total price for the two completed shirts is only $14.50!

I bought 4 appliques and only used two. I will save the other two for another set of shirts later. They would be great for big sister and little sister gifts!

1 comment:

DP said...

What a neat project. I wish I had talent when it came to sewing and making appliqued shirts.

Newest follower. Not sure if you follow me, but I love this site :-)

DP
Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

There was an error in this gadget